… and when I say ‘lies’ what I actually mean is superstitions and other oddities. Also, seeing as my mother, odd person that she is, isn’t very superstitious, when I say ‘parents’ I also mean friends and a random person or two.
- Never give a bouquet with an even number of flowers, those are reserved for graves and giving them to a living person implies you want them dead. This is only true for bouquets of 10 flowers or less, so a dozen roses is still okay.
- Never whistle inside the house, you’ll whistle all your money away.
- Don’t kill spiders, it’s bad luck.
- If you wear your shirt inside out you’ll be beaten (physically, not in a game).
- If someone doesn’t recognize you, you will be rich (does it cancel out the whistling, then?).
- If you drop cutlery on the floor, the gender of the particular item (in Russian/Hebrew it exists) indicates the gender of a person that’s currently hurrying to get to your house.
- Don’t sleep through the sunset, you’ll get a headache.
- Don’t leave shoes lying around upside down, it’s an omen for dead people (this one I learned in the army from my commanding officer).
- If going with a friend, don’t pass a tree from opposite sides – you will end up fighting (with the friend, not with the tree).
- If you accidentally step on someone, you must have them step back on you in order to prevent bad things from happening (am unclear what those ‘bad things’ are).